The Opus Pocus Activity Pack – 1001 Arabian Nights
Key Stage 2: Music, English, Drama & Art
Downloadable ZIP file includes:
- The 1001 Arabian Nights musical audiobook starring Brian Blessed & Rory Bremner (sample above)
- A quiz, a comic-book drawing activity and a comic-book writing challenge using classical music
- Enough learning & creative content to fill 10 lessons (25-30 minutes each)
- With no lesson-planning or specialist knowledge required
Step-by-step instructions for you & your class, so you just need to:
- Download & play the musical audiobook & classical music MP3s (sample below)
- Download & display the 50-page PDF pack (if you have a projector screen) or…
- Print-off & photocopy the A4 sheets for use in your class (just a handful of pages per lesson)
More information & its application to the National Curriculum KS2 in detail below.
The first activity is a quiz about the 1001 Arabian Nights musical audiobook and fills three lessons, with each lesson featuring one chapter from the story. It's a great way of getting children to listen really carefully to the story & music. The quiz questions also introduce children to what kind of music this is, where they might have already heard it and when it was written.
Key Stage 2 - Music:
- listen with attention to detail
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
- develop an understanding of the history of music
The second activity also fills three lessons and has comic-book scenes which accompany the 1001 Arabian Nights musical audiobook for children to read along to whilst listening to excerpts from the story. Being a comic-book it is highly accessible for all levels of reading confidence and is beautifully illustrated by our incredible artist, Faye Simms. The activity continues with a step-by-step guide to drawing one of the comic-book scenes, providing children with a structured creative activity in art & design.
Key Stage 2 - English (Reading Comprehension):
- listen to and discuss a wide range of fiction and plays
- increase familiarity with a wide range of books, including fairy stories, myths and legends
- identify and discuss themes and conventions in and across a wide range of writing
Key Stage 2 - Art & Design:
- use drawing and painting to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- create sketch books to record observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- improve mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing and painting with a range of materials
The third activity fills at least three lessons and has a comic-book writing challenge for children to create their own comic-books from scratch, set to the orchestral music behind our 1001 Arabian Nights story: Scheherazade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov. It has a classical musical sample separated into three sections with guidance to create scenes, characters, actions and emotions to fit to the music. This is then developed into a comic-book with step-by-step instructions.
Key Stage 2 - English (Writing Composition):
- pupils should plan their writing by discussing writing similar to that which they are planning to write in order to understand and learn from its structure, vocabulary and grammar
- discuss, note and develop initial ideas, drawing on reading and research where necessary
- in writing narratives, create settings, characters and plot
- prepare play scripts to read aloud and to perform, showing understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action
- evaluate and edit by assessing the effectiveness of their own and others’ writing
Finally, we would love to see the results of your creative endeavours! Any comic-book stories that your children or class have created in The Opus Pocus Activity Pack please share with us on social media. We will be running some creative competitions there too. Follow the social media links on our homepage to join in!